Share & Connect
FB – Let’s Be Friends
A man marched into a Sydney law office with his 12-year-old daughter claiming he had a bomb. He demanded several thousands dollars and access to a lawyer during a 12-hour standoff with police, according to court documents. The man, whose name was not disclosed for legal reasons, was refused bail during the brief court hearing.
The 52-year-old had been charged with a range of offenses and had a lengthy and violent criminal history. A police tactical team stormed into the law office and managed to overpower the man after negotiations ended. “It was certainly a big risk and, again, I praise the courage of the officers who broke into that confined space, that barricaded space, believing that that person had a bomb.”
Denis Clifford, Assistant Commissioner, NSW Police said in a statement. His daughter was released safely beforehand. Barely able to stand, the girl was reunited with her family after being hold hostage for more than 11 hours. The police reported the the perpetrator had no bomb on him.
The siege ended without injury, but the man’s family have criticized police for not letting them talk to him during the standoff. According to police reports, the man lived in Orange, a city 160 miles (270 kilometers) west of Sydney. The offender demanded 4,500 Australian dollars ($4,760) from an Aboriginal Land Council, which is an advocacy group for Aboriginal rights, and access to a lawyer.
He also required legal action taken against another man. Documents filled by the police in court mentioned the man had a criminal record that included possession of firearms. The documents did not give any other details relevant to the case, such as what his reasons or goals might have been.
The charges he now faces include giving false information of danger, detaining a person with intent to obtain advantage, remaining in a building with intent to commit an indictable offense, common assault and three counts of destroying or damaging property, said statements released by local police. The statement also mentioned that he broke a window and two vases during the standoff.
The prison sentence facing the offender if convicted is still unclear. Due to the fact that the man did not appear in court for the hearing, the case had to be adjourned until September 15. This is not a singular case . Only a month prior to the standoff at the law office, an extortionist broke into a Sydney home and fastened a fake bomb around the neck of a millionaire’s teenage daughter.
Dumitrescu Ciprian-Florin / Shutterstock.com